Monday 12 October 2009

12 Rocktober 2009

So I am back on the funk train. Kerr has been recommending albums left, right and centre and you have to love the guy for it.

Was mistaken for thinking that Dr. John was some MOR 70s American rock shite and I am so glad I was wrong. In The Right Place was hairier than the dude himself and contains plenty of jams.

There is a reason that crazy Scot calls himself pfunkboy on ILX. Dude knows his stuff and is more than willing to share the love. So next up was Games, Dames and Guitar Thangs by Eddie Hazel. At first I was apprehensive. It may have a striking cut-and-paste cover and be made by a Parliament-Funkadelic guitarist but the AMG review mentions, eurgh, funk-metal guitar and he covers the proto-metal bullshit 'I Want You (She's So Heavy)', one of the Beatles more self-indulgent tracks and one I would be fine with never hearing again. In the end I came out pleasantly surprised but not blown away. The girl vocals were a nice touch and at times I did get lost in the groove but you can understand why they stayed separate from the real P-Funk jams.

Elsewhere I read Arsene Wenger: The Biography by Xavier Rivoire and learnt how to wire a fuse box with my father. The biography divulged some nice new details about his pre-Arsenal days but it didn't really add anything to what I knew already. The man is a God to me and like all the fundamentalists of real religions, I just wish to know more.

I am disappointed by what I didn't achieve today though. I still haven't applied for the jobs I found out on Saturday to apply for. Cover letters need to be written but for no good reason it is not happening. Also, a stunning looking woman came into Cancer Research today to buy an album I love, we even had time for me to make conversation while the card machine was taking its time and yet I have no idea what to say in such a situation. One for the future I guess, on a day Kerr stops giving me recommendations of albums on Spotify.

No comments:

Post a Comment